Siteground will be performing a major upgrade of their shared hosting infrastructure and many of the KMDD sites will be migrated at the end of January. The upgrade is scheduled for Tuesday, January 19, 01:00 AM - 06:00 AM CST
The News From Siteground:
What infrastructure changes are planned?
The upgrade that we will be performing involves both hardware and software changes. All changes involved are meant to make the whole platform faster, easily scalable, and with a drastically shorter recovery time in case of an incident. Here are some highlights:
- The new platform will run entirely on Solid State Drives (SSD), which are hundreds of times faster compared to regular hard disk drives. This will increase significantly the speed of the hosted websites.
- We will use a new virtualization method known as Linux Containers, which will allow us to provide a bigger pool of burstable resources and make your websites faster in case of traffic spikes.
- We are replacing the backup system in order to make the backup creation and recover lighter, faster and more flexible and thus reduce even further the time for data restore when needed.
You may read a detailed overview of the platform enhancements and the expected results in our blog:
Although the upgrade looks quite complicated due to the number of modifications it involves, it is actually straightforward and standard as a procedure. We have already set up the new platform and we will simply migrate your data from the old to the new platform. Here’s what you should have in mind:
- We expect a downtime of a few minutes, up to 1 hour on the day of the migration.
- We kindly recommend you to not make any changes on your website on that day in order to prevent data losses.
- You don’t need to make any changes in your settings. We will simply migrate your data on the new infrastructure and keep all your settings as they are.
- There will be no change in your billing. All the infrastructure upgrades we are making will result in no additional costs for you.
The SiteGround Team